Health Update

The super short version: I'm still in near total remission :)  

I had a scare about a month and a half ago when my blood test -- one day prior to a scheduled maintenance treatment -- came back with a dangerously low neutrophil count.  
     
In normal people, the count should be between 2.0 and 7.5.  In cancer patients, they like it be between 1.0 and 2.0, especially in order to give you treatment.  Mine came back 0.1.  The long and short of it was that a) it was too low for treatment and b) I was in danger of picking up an infection (which I did and which landed me for a three day stay in the lovely Kindcardine, Ontario hospital while on vacation).

My neutrophil count has been fairly low since originally being diagnosed a year and a half ago.  After my 0.1 count, my oncologist suggested that it might be time for another bone marrow biopsy.  That happened several weeks ago.  It came back negative -- which doesn't mean I have no bone marrow :) It means the cancer hasn't spread to the bone marrow.  Very good news.
   
Two weeks ago, I got a fancy port inserted -- no more nightmare IV attempts (my personal record is 9 failed pokes with the tenth one in the foot finally working).
   
Fast forward to today: after 6 weeks of being delayed because of my low counts, I finally had my maintenance Rituxan treatment.
 
I'm also back to work as a teacher at Eden High School this year and very much enjoying being with students again.
   
As always, thanks to all my family and friends who have been such a huge support to me.

Comments

  1. Great to hear that you are doing well Rocco :))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the written update Rocco, so helpful when sharing with others and prayng for you. Love your bio too! Love you both!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the written update Rocco, so helpful when sharing with others and prayng for you. Love your bio too! Love you both!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My dearest Rocco - First of all I have always enjoyed your ramblings and musings and second of all I am along with Fran thrilled to hear of your positive progress, soooo thrilled for you Doris and your family. Blessings, your bro - Vince

    ReplyDelete
  5. So inspiring, you're an awesome teacher, too! :)

    -Liam

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

1969. Good Bye, Montreal -- I forgot to say it then so I'll say it now

My Last Day of Teaching