Yet Another Health Update

So here’s a brief health update. First of all, physically, I’ve been feeling good even though I’d been neutropenic for the better part of the last two years. I think the math goes something like this: my neutrophil count did a slow decline from normal when I started chemo in June 2014 until I was finished in November 2014. Sometime during my maintenance treatments -- February 2015 until December 2015, my count hit an all time low of 0.0 (normal range is 2.5 - 6.0).

Plain English of above: not to over-dramatize, but I was in constant danger of infection because white blood cells, when working properly, help fight off infection. Getting an infection/fever could land me hospitalized -- if not dealt with quickly and efficiently the result could’ve been sepsis and death.

Last August 2015, I ended up with an infection/fever and was hospitalized in Kincardine, Ontario while on vacation. Fortunately, I received immediately intravenous antibiotics and lived to tell the tale.

Long story short, this past September 2016, my neutrophil count was still dangerously low: 0.1. I rechecked my blood a few weeks ago (November 2016) and sometime over the last 3 months, my count went up to 3.1 which is totally in the normal range.

I consider myself fortunate on several counts. One, as mentioned above, I can now think of traveling and shaking hands with people without the worry of being hospitalized. Two -- speaking of hospitalization -- my oncologist tells me that those who have been on the same track/timeline with my disease have been hospitalized several times over the last couple of years. I consider myself fortunate with only my one visit.

Anyhow, for all of you who have been praying for me, thinking about me, concerned for me, thank you for the above (prayers, thoughts and concern). I thought you’d like to know :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

1969. Good Bye, Montreal -- I forgot to say it then so I'll say it now

Health Update

My Last Day of Teaching