Anna Sewell's "Black Beauty" and Religion

Who knew  Anna Sewell's Black Beauty had so much to say about religion?


There is no religion without love, and people may talk as much as they like about their religion, but if it does not teach them to be good and kind to man and beast, it is all a sham […]

I have heard the commandments read a great many times, and I never noticed that any of them said, 'Thou shalt be rich.' And there are a good many curious things said in the New Testament about rich men that I think would make me feel rather queer if I was one of them." (35.43)

"Real religion is the best and truest thing in the world and the only thing that can make a man really happy, or make the world any better." (36.24)

"[…] I don't see that your religious people are any better than the rest." 

"If they are not better... it is because they are not religious. You might as well say that our country's laws are not good because some people break them." (36.24)


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

1969. Good Bye, Montreal -- I forgot to say it then so I'll say it now

Health Update

My Last Day of Teaching