So why the Western fixation with professional sports by a certain demographic (namely, 40 - 72-yr-old males) to which I belong? Let's state the obvious; that being that since we're in a first world country, we have the means -- the money and the leisure time to indulge ourselves. That would explain a lot of other things too: addictions, consumerism, dysfunction and obesity.

But back to the fixation with pro sports: in my case, NHL hockey. I've never played ice hockey. I've played all other sorts of hockey: Cosom hockey, floor hockey, ball hockey, table hockey, EA Sports hockey, arcade hockey, sock hockey, basement hockey, and even once barn hockey! So I'm guessing part of the fixation would be involvement with the sport. But I'm guessing it has to go a lot deeper than that.

Does it play into some sort of hero fantasy? Is it a vicarious thing? Is it the grown up equivalent to why adolescent boys are fascinated with super heroes? Does it compensate for us being powerless?

This is deep. I should probably go on some sports psychology web site and figure it out. Maybe I'll do just that after I watch the Pens - Hurricane game tonight.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

1969. Good Bye, Montreal -- I forgot to say it then so I'll say it now

Health Update

My Last Day of Teaching