Creative Procrastination




Right now I have 60 exams to mark. After that, 80+ report cards. So what am I doing now? Blogging: working title -- "Creative Procrastination". Would that be ironic X 2 or is there an other word for it?

Yes, when I have something pressing to accomplish, my mind supplies me with all kinds of other wonderful possibilities; under normal circumstances, I couldn't think of such sundry speculatives:

  • writing a daily devotional based on the genealogies,

  • trying to find and buy a Montreal Maroons hockey sweater online,

  • inventing/patenting a binder for foolscap-size paper (maybe I shouldn't go public with that one...)

  • reading! reading is always good. James Joyce's Ulysses sits on my bookshelf taunting me; it whispers, you're no student of English until you've read me; then it says, above a whisper, wuss!

  • look for the verse in Proverbs where it encourage drinking beer & wine if your life sucks

And the proverbial list goes on. Speaking of which when people say "proverbial" they don't really mean "proverbial" do they? They mean figurative or metaphoric. At any rate, I totally misused the word.

I'm going to look up proverbial and get back to you. I'll bet definition #3 or #4 says something about the vernacular or colloquial...

CAMBRIDGE (wimpy def'n):


proverbial adjective1 as used in a proverb or other phrase:He's got to pull the proverbial finger out.


WEBSTER'S


proverbial
• adjective 1. referred to in a proverb or idiom. 2. well known, especially so as to be stereotypical.


Okay, now it's making sense, but I'm still not buying it.

Hey, I just had a brain wave! Do you know what I think? I think people say "proverbially" when they actually mean "clicheically" but "clicheically (not a word)" is too hard to say. Hm. Makes sense.

Enough of this blogging; I'm going the read Ulysses.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

1969. Good Bye, Montreal -- I forgot to say it then so I'll say it now

Health Update

My Last Day of Teaching