To My 2009 semester 2 EWCs: You're Great!


In my second year of teaching I was observed by my then vice-principal and once former high school English teacher, Bob Majers. He observed a grade 9 class -- I have no recollection of what we were doing. Cue for Treason maybe? What I do remember is a conversation that went something like this:

BOB: Wow, this is a great class.
ME: Yeah, they're super kids -- smart and a lot of fun.
BOB: Have you told them that?
ME: No...
BOB: Well, I think you should.
ME: Good idea.

That conversation has stuck with me. I often forget that the young people I get the honour to be with for 5 months are 14-18 yrs-olds -- kids in adult bodies. I don't mean that disrespectfully; I just mean that they might look like they're adults but really they're only a very short few years past being 12-yrs old ... kids.

So what's my point: high school students need to know that you're proud of them and that you think they're great.

Specifically to my 2009 semester 2 English Writer's Craft class. I'm proud of you; I think you're all great. I had a moment with you last week when one of you was giving your final ISU presentation and the thought occurred to me: I'm not going insane here. Normally, during many senior ISU presentations, I'm looking at the clock, writing in my journal and wondering if I'd survive jumping out my 2nd story window...


No, this was definitely strange: I was actually having a conversation about something we were all passionate about -- writing. A conversation with mature, sincere, young adults.

You have been a joy and an honour to teach. Your giftedness runs a close second in magnitude to your quality as people. And that's saying a lot because you are by far the most gifted class of Writer's Craft students that I've ever had (I've taught this course, about 20 times, by the way).

To the 2009 semester 2 English Writer's Craft class: thank you for the great experience, keep in touch, have a great and fulfilling life.

And keep writing!

-rm

Comments

  1. I was once in your Writer's Craft class. And I remember you telling me you thought I was great. And I have carried that with me through my adult life.

    And just so you know, you're great too. You were definitely one of the teachers who had a tremendous influence in my life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Paprika, thanks. I just saw this comment. I'm teary.

    I'm honoured and I meant it - you are great!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

1969. Good Bye, Montreal -- I forgot to say it then so I'll say it now

Health Update

My Last Day of Teaching